BBQ Cutlets with Citrus Slaw
- 1 large navel orange
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3/4 cup(s) bottled barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 8 ounce(s) shredded cabbage mix for coleslaw
- 3/4 bulb(s) fennel
- 1 tablespoon(s) white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- From orange, grate 1 1/2 teaspoons peel. With knife, cut remaining peel and white pith from orange and discard. Holding orange over small bowl to catch juice, cut out segments between membranes; drop segments into bowl. With slotted spoon, transfer segments to cutting board; coarsely chop. Reserve 2 tablespoons orange juice.
- With meat mallet, pound chicken (placed between 2 sheets plastic wrap) to an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Spray large ridged grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high until hot. Meanwhile, combine barbecue sauce, Dijon, and 1 teaspoon peel; reserve 1/4 cup sauce for serving.
- Place chicken on grill pan; cook 4 minutes, turning once. Generously brush chicken with remaining barbecue-sauce mixture; cook 3 to 4 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink throughout, turning often and brushing with sauce frequently.
- While chicken is cooking, make citrus slaw: In large bowl, mix orange pieces, reserved juice, cabbage mix, fennel, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon peel; toss to combine. Makes 4 1/2 cups slaw.
- Serve slaw with chicken; garnish with fennel fronds.
Flank Steak with Oven Fries
- 3 medium (8 ounces each) russet (baking) potatoes
- 3 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pound(s) beef flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried tarragon
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1 bag(s) (9-ounce) microwave-in-the-bag baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Cut each unpeeled potato crosswise in half, then cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges.
- Spray 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place potatoes in pan and toss with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Roast potatoes in oven 25 minutes or until fork-tender and beginning to brown, stirring once halfway through roasting.
- Meanwhile, rub steak with tarragon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to season both sides. Heat 12-inch cast-iron or other heavy skillet on medium-high. Add 1 teaspoon oil and steak; cook 12 minutes for medium, or until desired doneness, turning over once. Transfer steak to cutting board. To same skillet, add shallot and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add wine and heat to boiling; boil 2 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Cook spinach in microwave as label directs. Thinly slice steak and serve with wine sauce, potatoes, and spinach.
What are you serving your Dad for Father's Day? If cooking isn't your forte but you'd like to serve Dad something special give us a call. We cater small family gatherings as well as large events in Portland.